My Challenge to Our Church:
- Decide upon a food fast with me. Fast from a meal per day. Fast for 24-hours. Fast for 3-days. Fast for 7-days.
- Fast from another item in your life with me. Pick something during this season that you regularly enjoy and push pause on it for 21-days. Maybe it's entertainment (like Netflix, etc).
- Join me on our Veritas Facebook Page for the next 21-days at 8am for a live devotion. Every single day for the next 21-days, join me for a live devotion. This will be a time of pause and praise as we begin our days through this 21-day journey.
What is Fasting?
Christian fasting is going without food, or anything else that is regularly enjoyed, for an extended period for a specific and intended spiritual purpose.
This purpose could be for growth in your relationship with Jesus. It could be for seeking the will of God in a decision that needs to be made. It could be for the purposes of extended prayer.
Fasting is an intentional period of time set aside to intensify your hunger for Christ, His Word, and His will for your life.
How Should I Start Fasting?
- Start with something small. If you have never fasted before, then begin with fasting from a meal (breakfast) for a week. Consider a 24-hour fast from 7pm to 7pm the next day, right after a big dinner meal.
- Write out your plan. Without a plan, it's just going hungry. Make sure you are writing out what you are doing when you are supposed to be eating. Everyone spend 1-3 hours at meals per day. What will you be doing for that time?
- Try different kinds of fasts. Fast from food to instensify your hunger for Christ, but also spend time fasting from other things as well that you regularly enjoy. Use this time to refocus your energies also on your plan that you come up with before you fast.